Member Rita Williams was delighted with the arrival of this beautifully marked White Park calf on Easter Sunday.
Our dramatically distinctive White Park cattle which grace parkland and pasture in many parts of the country is Britain’s most ancient breed of livestock. “A Breed of Distinction” by the Society President and White Park cattle expert, Lawrence Alderson CBE, deals comprehensively with both the ancient provenance of White Park cattle and their value in the context of modern farming. Its narrative reveals a fascinating range of interest and knowledge, illustrated in both monochrome and colour images.
An updated and revised copy of “A Breed of Distinction” is now for sale via Amazon using this link.
The first edition of the White Park Cattle Society magazine “A Breed of Distinction” has been published.
Our thanks go to retired Council member John Carrick, who managed the production and printing of the magazine, ably assisted by his editorial team of Amy Cope, Jessica Byrne-Daniel, John Barker and Guy Myddelton.
The 16-page magazine features articles on breeding for the best, a guide to showing White Park cattle, halter training young cattle, members new to the breed, the export of embryos to New Zealand, keeping White Park outdoors all year round and the change of lifestyle from London banker to Rutland farmer.
The magazine also contains herd advertisements from several White Park herds.
Volume One of “A Breed of Distinction” is available free of charge to anyone who is interested in finding out more about White Park Cattle. If you would like to receive a copy please contact our Breed Secretary, Jane Hampson, on [email protected] with your address details.
The White Park Cattle Society was honoured to hold its AGM and Open Day at Blagdon Estate near Seaton Burn in Northumberland. The Estate has a range of businesses at its Milkhope Centre which are open to the public, including the Blagdon Farm Shop. We definitely recommend a visit if you are in the area!
Blagdon Estate in Northumberland was the location for the 2018 White Park Cattle Society AGM and Open Day, kindly hosted by Viscount Ridley.
Blagdon Estate has been in the ownership of the White/Ridley family since 1698 and is a business that includes farms, woodland, residential and commercial properties. The Estate is also home to the Blagdon Herd of White Park cattle.
Our day commenced in the Clock Room on the Estate where, after morning tea, we held our AGM and Open Forum. Following lunch the tour of the Estate commenced. We firstly visited the garden in front of the house where Viscount Ridley gave us a run down of his family history. We then walked over to see the Blagdon herd of White Park cattle, which were grazing calmly in front of the house in a field next to the cricket pitch. The WPCS members then climbed on to a trailer and were given a tour of the Estate which included a visit to the businesses in the Milkhope Centre, land which had been re-instated following open cast coal mining and is which now thriving with wildlife and, finally, the dairy unit. We concluded our afternoon with tea and cakes back at the Clock Room.
The Open Day finished in style with a three-course evening meal at the Ridley Arms which comprised a main course of delicious White Park beef, supplied by the Estate.
The Society would like to thank Viscount Ridley for welcoming us to his home, Estate Manager Andrew Crewdson for his help in organising the visit and Estate staff David Conner and Harry Baker Cresswell for joining us on the guided tour.
It was a wonderful day in a beautiful location and was enjoyed by established and newer members alike.
2018 is a special year for our Society, as it is our centenary.
The ‘Park Cattle Society’ was formed in January 1918 with the Earl of Tankerville (Chillingham) as Patron, the Duke of Bedford (Woburn) as President, and the Duke of Hamilton (Cadzow) as Vice-President. The first herd book was published in 1919. At that time the herd book included both horned and polled cattle as polled cattle with the White Park colour pattern were incorrectly deemed to be closely related.
By the 1940s the name of the Society had changed to the ‘British White Cattle Society’ which added further confusion with polled British White cattle. The President was the Duke of Hamilton and the Vice-President was Lord Dynevor, and the heritage horned herds (Dynevor, Cadzow and Woburn/Chartley) provided the senior office holders throughout the life of the herd book.
Following a lapse of thirty years or so registrations resumed in 1974, the first volume of a new herd book was published in 1975, and the White Park Cattle Society was (re)formed in 1983 when the Duchess of Hamilton (Cadzow) was President and the Chairman was G L H Alderson CBE (Dynevor). Lawrence Alderson became President in 1988.
At the end of 2017 we were contacted by a non-member who had owned three White Park cows for several years, using them for conservation grazing only. The owner was retiring and had decided to re-home his White Parks. But he wanted them to live out their natural lives, as close as possible to his home, and had specified that they could not be used for breeding. If we could find a new owner that met these criteria, the White Parks would be transferred free of charge.
Luckily Dr Greenall of Herefordshire was only too willing to give the three females a new home. Following the necessary movement tests Stoneleigh Ashow, Stoneleigh Grandborough and Pepperbox Alderbury moved to Ledbury and are now living with five other White Parks in the beautiful surroundings Bromesberrow Place.
Congratulations to members David and Sue Graveston of Bolton by Bowland, Lancashire, whose White Park bull Ribblesdale Muskateer triumphed as the Interbreed Champion at the Melton Mowbray Rare Breeds show and sale held on 9 September 2017.
The Donald family of County Armagh were excited to take their White Park heifer Claycappagh Lilly to her first show, the Gosford Rare Breed show in Northern Ireland. After winning her breed class Lilly and her half sister Louisa Jane went on to win the beef pairs, before Lilly triumphed in the overall championship. Congratulations to Claycappagh Lilly, beautifully shown by the two youngest members of the Donald family, seen below holding their trophy.
For one cattle breed 2017 holds an extra special significance. The White Park Society held a celebratory dinner on 21 July to celebrate several significant historic events. The dinner was hosted by the President of the Society, Lawrence Alderson CBE, and was master-minded by celebratory chef, Mark Hix, with beef from the Bickleigh herd of White Park cattle owned by Society Vice-Chairman, John Lean.
It was twenty years since the Society hosted a banquet in 1997 in Butchers Hall, headquarters of The Worshipful Company of Butchers in the historic Smithfield area. The White Park beef-on-the-bone piped around the Great Hall marked the last occasion before the ban on beef-on-the-bone came into effect. However, that anniversary was somewhat fortuitous.
The original purpose of the banquet was to celebrate the 800th anniversary of Rhys ap Gruffydd, the famous ruler of the kingdom of Deheubarth in southern Wales who died in 1197. Rhys owned the colour-pointed white cattle which we now know as White Park, and he was a ninth-generation descendant of Rhodri Mawr, who built Dynevor castle as a defence against the Vikings and first brought the white cattle to our attention in 856 AD. His grandson, Hywel Dda, formulated the Welsh Laws in the Venedotian and Dimetian codes in which the cattle appeared as payment of fines for infringement of the ruler’s prerogative.
Therefore, Dynevor cattle, which now are kept on Salisbury Plain, demonstrate a provenance tracing back more than 1,000 years which other British breeds of cattle have not been able to record. But one family in the Dynevor herd can claim an even more remarkably ancient provenance. A paper by Ludwig, Alderson et al has added a new dimension to the history of the breed. It shows that those cows belonging to the Tawe family possess a mitochondrial haplotype which has been passed down the female line from a cow that lived ten thousand years ago.
The main purpose of the dinner in July 2017 was an important anniversary celebration for another reason. Although history was an integral factor, it was concerned more with meat quality. In 1617 James I was travelling through Lancashire and in early August was hosted by Sir Richard Hoghton at Hoghton Tower, which was home to a herd of White Park cattle. The obligatory banquet after a day of hunting included beef from the resident herd. The king declared “Finer beef nae man ever put his teeth into. What joint do ye ca’ it, Sir Richard?”. “The dish, sire, is a loin of beef” replied his host. “A loin! By my faith that is not a title honourable enough for a joint sae worthy. It wants a dignity, and it shall hae it. Henceforth it shall be Sir-Loin, an’ see ye ca’ it sae”. Thereby the excellence of White Park meat was written into the history of quality beef.
The quality of White Park beef remains notable in the twenty-first century for its marbling and flavour. It is marketed as a speciality product which commands a premium with outlets in London and in several provincial centres.
Lawrence Alderson CBE